Visits

Welcome

Welcome to my inner sanctum. I am, as my cousin LuAnn so nicely put it, a "born again, founding fathers, conservative." I am opinionated and you are apt to find anything on this page.

I would like to hear from you: hendroni@earthlink.net


Thursday, August 21, 2014

Camping for Dummies



A couple of years ago Gail and I thought it would be a good idea to embark on a new adventure, we thought we would like to do some RV’ing.  We purchased a 30 foot Montana fifth wheel camp trailer and a ford F-250 diesel to pull it.


We couldn’t wait for our first trip.  It was decided that our first excursion should be local so we went to the Chula Vista RV resort in Chula Vista, CA.   We felt a little out of place as we nestled our used camp trailer between some obviously very expensive motor homes but we settled in for what promised to be a very nice weekend of sea breezes and ocean views.

We soon discovered that we didn’t have any hot water!  I went to work on the problem and soon had the water heater apart and was replacing the anode and igniter.  To get to these two parts I had to remove the venturi tube that directs the gas to the burners but I got them both installed.  The next morning I was surprised to find out that we still did not have hot water so I got the manual out and discovered that I had forgotten to flip the proper switch.  I turned the switch on and heard the burners ignite as I headed for the bathroom,  announcing to Gail as I passed that we would soon have hot water.  I was in the bathroom when I heard a noise that sounded like rain.  I hollered to Gail that I thought it was raining.  Imagine my surprise when, a few seconds later, Gail yelled “we’re on fire”!  I had forgotten to replace the venturi tube and what I thought was the gas burners igniting was actually an unimpeded ball of flame consuming everything in sight!

Apparently, what I thought was rain was actually my melted awning dripping down the side of the trailer!  There I was, sitting in a very cramped area, taking care of business, trying to get myself cleaned up and my pants pulled back up before I was roasted alive!  By the time I got out, Gail had managed to put the fire out with one of the extinguishers; what a trooper.  The fire department arrived along with what seemed to be half the population of Chula Vista to witness the debacle; how humiliating!  I had burned the brand new awning along with half of the door side of the trailer, including part of the roof.  I imagined that our wealthy neighbors with their million dollar motor homes were incredulous that the park management had allowed such “trailer trash” to move in and endanger their lives and their polished homes on wheels.

We hobbled out of the RV resort early that morning to avoid the stares of the remaining tenants and limped all the way back to our home in Riverside being careful to stay in the right “slow” lane the entire way so that our damaged right side would not be visible to the other travelers.  I took the trailer to a repair shop in Hemet, CA where it was completely restored for just a few dollars and then sold the whole kit & caboodle to the first offer that came our way.

 The trailer after the repairs, still awaiting the new awning
 
Thus ended our lust for adventure on the open road.  What the hell were we thinking?

No comments: